[Harp-L] What do you call this tuning?

Robert Hale wrote:
<How would you name a 10-hole tuning, with a Natural Minor draw plate, and
<its complementary MAJOR blow plate?

If I understand correctly--e.g., if an example of this is a G minor draw plate with a C major blow plate--then this is a Dorian minor tuning.  2nd position is a dorian minor mode (in the example, G dorian)--flat 3rd, flat 7th, major 6th.  1st position is a mixolydian mode (in the example, C mixolydian)--major scale with flatted 7th.  3rd position is a natural (aeolian) minor mode--flat 3rd, flat 6th, flat 7th.

I've had a half-dozen of these in my kit for a few decades.  It's a very useful tuning for lots of stuff.  I play "Tequila" in 1st position with this tuning; in 1st position you have a major I chord (C) and flat 7 chord (Bb), great for vamping.  The hit from Flashdance, "Maniac," lays out very well in 3rd position, as does some of the stuff from the Police repertoire, because you have a bVI-bVII-i progression, one of Sting's favorite cadences, ready to roll.  My solo piece "Requiem" is performed on this tuning in 3rd position.  And in 2nd position, it rocks.

regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick