Re: [Harp-L] Pro Harmonica Secrets Made Simple

While the claim of instant gratification may be hyperbole (Pro Harmonica Secrets Made Simple) there is probably a lot of truth in the DVD series.

Over the years as an interested observer (I collected harmonica books before I ever took up playing halfway seriously) and a longtime (17 years) contributing editor for that old American Harmonica Newsmagazine, I listened to, watched and read lots (a hundred plus) guides on how to play the harmonica.

I found that though I had my favorites (which I would list except I might leave out a really important one) -- none of them covered the whole field. Like a research paper, you need about 10-20 sources to cover the topic. Each source may have one great idea that the others lack.

I'm pretty old now -- but one thing I've always found: if I get one good idea out of a book  it was worth reading.

I've known Mike through SPAH for many years and enjoyed his performances on sax and harp on recordings and in concert. His talks are always enlightening.

While this DVD probably will not provide me the blueprint to make a better harp on a 3D printer, I strongly suspect that it is jammed full of useful music and harmonica information that will prove useful to beginners and intermediate plays. The pros might even pick up a tip or too -- because most pros don't also play sax.

BTW: The "killer saxophone" reference is about another program Mike sells on the site.

My feeling has always been, the more instructional material available the better. And the more different instructors there are, the more likely some frustrated harp player will make a musical connection with one.

Keep on harpin,
Phil Lloyd