Re: [Harp-L] Tuning Caps for chromatic

On Jan 30, 2013, at 8:18 PM, Music Cal wrote:

> Hmm. But doesn't the pitch depend upon how much ear leakage there is for a
> particular reed?

Sure

> Wouldn't these caps have different leak intensity than the
> assembled harp thereby producing a pitch discrepancy?

Whether a plate is on or off the comb, the cap assumes as tight a fit as an ON the comb situation. The reason I made mine from hard rubber (initially). Even though hard, it still has a certain amount of 'squish' factor and DID seal rather well...IF, that's IF held tight to the plate. Also the lip at the front allowed it to butt against the plate. Then it didn't hurt to dab a bit of.. 'Liquid electrical tape' (basically liquid rubber) along the edges. Oh, and one other thing. My versions were 3 times wider and allowed the encapsulation of the reeds on both sides..negating their sound.

smokey-joe