Subject: [Harp-L] Sound Man at Wiliamsburg (Darryl Schrock)

Ta much, not-so-crazy Bob.<G>

Now I know whom to thank for the next day's life-altering  experience when
with much trepidation I ventured up onto the stage at Open  Mic for the very
first time alone, with only my Ipod for accompaniment.  Previously, either
Marv, Marv w/others, Smokey, or Smokey with Wally had all  accompanied me.
Now I decided I had to break through my personal wall  and just get up there
in a full room of very nice people, most of whom I did not  know (this was
my first Williamsburg).

Now that I know his name, Darryl assured me I could plug in my IPod up at
the mic stand (he had everything prepared ahead of time--how amazing), so it
 took only seconds to set up, find my song, adjust the levels to his
satisfaction  during my stomach flutters --while HE handled everything with
perfect  aplomb--and off we went. I hadn't intended to play, this was pretty much
spur of  the moment.

That was my very first time playing in front of an audience 'naked' so to
speak and yet feeling completely right about it. All due to him and his
smiling  thumbs-up from the back of the room. He made what is usually a very
tough  situation for me, easy and it's had an impact on my life since.

I chose my main song (Time After Time) and got applause, but everyone
does. What made it extra special were those who stopped me after to hold my hand
 and ask "what was that beautiful tune?" (some older people who didn't know
Cyndi  Lauper). So I guess I didn't flub it too much. All thanks to this
great sound  guy.

I won't forget him, especially now that I know his name.

THESE are the behind-the-scenes people who deserve so much more of our
consideration and extolling of their virtues than even certain of the 'Stars',
imho.

Much appreciation for the info. You might have told me this before but I'd
either missed it or forgotten. I won't this time. Promise.

Elizabeth

"Message: 5