[Harp-L] "New Chinese Harmonica" Album Released

COMPLETING THE CIRCLE

The most characteristic harmonica sound we hear today is the blues-harp
style, developed by the Afro-Americans. It uses soulful note bending to give
that bluesy wailing sound we all associate with the harp. You often hear it
in contemporary American styles like Blues, Jazz, Country and Rock.

However the free-reed that makes the sound in harmonicas is thousands of
years old, first documented in ancient Chinese literature. It has long been
used in traditional Chinese folk instruments like the Hulusi, Bawu, Sheng
etc. It went to the West (probably with Marco Polo) and was eventually
incorporated in new free-reed instruments (reed organs, harmonicas,
accordions, concertinas etc) in the 19th century. So the modern harmonica is
essentially a Chinese/Western fusion instrument.

I got hooked on the gorgeous sound of Chinese traditional music a while ago,
and wanted to play it myself. However, I discovered that no harmonicas made
so far can play Chinese music in an authentic manner. They cannot bend the
notes in the right scales or with the same expression as the Hulusi or the
Erhu (the highly expressive Chinese two-string fiddle).

I realised that I'd have to create entirely new harps if I wanted to adapt
the Western 'bluesy' style to play with the right expression and correct
pitch bending of Chinese music. After much experimentation I developed
several new harmonicas that work for Chinese music. I got such a buzz when
the first Hulusi/Erhu-type sounds came out!

This album of my interpretations of classic Chinese folk tunes is the result
of that exploration. It shows that modern harmonicas can play traditional
Chinese music with all the right inflections, while adding a fresh tonality
that sounds just right for the music. Truly, in every sense: they are made
for each other!

In a small way I feel I’m completing a circle that started thousands of
years ago: adapting the modern harmonica to play the music of the birthplace
of the free-reed in an authentic, sympathetic manner. A continuation of the
Chinese/Western fusion that started when the Chinese free-reed first made it
to the West.

Here’s a sampler of the album, with nature photography from Jodie Randall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjlIZLiFETg

If you’d like a copy of the CD, go here:

http://www.brendan-power.com/New%20Chinese%20Harmonica.htm

Brendan Power

WEBSITES:  <http://www.brendan-power.com/> www.brendan-power.com ●
www.x-reed.com