Re: [Harp-L] re:What Cover-Plates Don't Do

JR,

I am NOT being snarky, but have you experimented with this regarding
measurement?  There have been a couple of threads recently where theory has
been applied to what can/can't happen with a harmonica, but I am unaware of
even any anecdotal evidence describing this in the real world.

I readily admit to trying to measure some of these things but with limited
expertise in using tools.  Generally, I've used an iPad with apps or what I
can pull up from the tools in Audacity.  When I did a coverplate test some
weeks ago, I used Sound View, Decibel 10th, RTA, and iStrobsoft.  The con
here being I am at entry level with how the first three work.  In testing,
I was able to see what the mic was picking up, but had no way of accurately
taking a snap shot from the app.  I figured out how to do a screen capture,
but that required two hands and I couldn't figure out how to play and snap
at the same time.

The changes in volume were the most obvious, but the sound pictures were
different too.  I used a stock A Crossover and rotated between stock MB,
XO, and SP20 covers.  This was for my own amusement, so I didn't fret
recording things or logging pictures of the frequency responses, etc.
 There are SO many variables to consider that at its most basic interest,
regardless of the how, I can personally conclude that open XO style covers
are my favorite.  MB covers that are opened would work too.

While I felt SP20 covers felt more comfortable and solid, the sound I was
hearing when playing was warmer and less present at both the same playing
pressure and volumes.  One think I loathe about the SUB30 is the covers.
 They make the harp very muted and quiet.  Switching to Manji covers adds
3+db of volume  by my basic measures, but I concede to not checking the
frequency response.  Simple enough for me with four hands, lol.