RE: [Harp-L] What Cover-Plates Don't Do

> From: jross38@xxxxxxxxxxx

> The title of this thread is from a comment a friend made.  His comment was that he pretty much knows what cover-plates don't do, it's what they do he's still a bit unsure of.
>
> To that end, I thought I'd post my thoughts on the subject.

Well said. As far as I'm concerned, the covers do three main things. They protect the reeds from my big, horny hands. They allow me to vary my embouchure in ways I can't manage if the covers are not on. They provide comfort for my poor embattled lips when I have to play for four hours.
Anything else, I'll take a lot of convincing!