Re: [Harp-L] Swing vs. Shuffle

Here's (some of) the back story:  I learn by teaching, and I am incubating a seminar for SPAH whose working title is "Rhythm Games".  It will be an expanded version of the audience participation part of the metronome seminar I presented at SPAH 2011 in Virginia Beach, and my goal will be to introduce some fun rhythm exercises that can be practiced casually on an ad hoc basis but that hopefully will have the side effect of raising people's consciousness about rhythm and timing and, I hope, sneakily help them get better at it.  And before I go pontificating about shuffle and/or swing, I want to make sure I have my ducks in a row.  (Doing the Can-Can if possible....   but I digress).  Asking about it on the list -- and pressing for details -- is part of my due diligence process.

I'm comfortable with the idea that the definition is elusive, because I expect that the phenomena of "swing" and "shuffle" came first, and any definitions came along later.  I also have heard the old trope that if you have to ask (raises hand), you don't get it.  Actually, I think I mostly of get it -- and feel it, often enough -- but I want to make sure I'm not missing some essential bit.

Sooooo....  in the spirit of due diligence and thoroughness, would someone please try to give me a clue about the difference between "messing with that rhythm" and playing inaccurately?  Thank you.

Elizabeth H. (aka "Tin Lizzie")
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that shuffle.