Re: [Harp-L] Swing vs. Shuffle

Hi Blake -

I think what you're saying (via the Jason quote) can be said about all music, not just swing. Messing with  being slightly ahead or behind the beat is what phrasing is all about, regardless of style.

As for computers being able to swing (or not), this gets a bit silly. Computers, even though they are robots, can be taught to play with a swing feel very easily. It's more difficult to teach them how to improvise phrasing that sounds good. But any given phrase can be performed by a computer program, with all the human subtlety of the original.

However, some computer programs, especially those written for the masses, do not allow for such subtlety, and that sometimes leads people to think computer music has to be "robotic". That really isn't the case.

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com