Re: [Harp-L] harp-tech, where to start

Eric -

All good questions.

The first filter I used in Harmonica For Dummies was, "How easy is it to physically accomplish?"

For example, flat-sanding a reedplate can deliver great benefits, but is not something a beginning harmonica player (or beginning harp tech) might feel comfortable tackling.

So I start with easy stuff like taking a screwed-together harmonica
apart and reassembling it for improved air-tightness, using nothing but a
 screwdriver and your finger, using specific techniques and procedures.

Basic
 gapping is something most players can take on. Not the ultra-precise
work of gapping for overbends, necessarily, but to ensure consistency
and maybe tighten up the response of an out-of-the-box harp.

Tuning
 is an art that you can plumb in great depth, but just knowing the
basics in order to correct obvious deficiencies is worth learning.

I do get into slot embossing and rounding off sharp corners, but not into things like opening the back so f covers, flat sanding, sealing wood combs, or converting nails to screws - all things I do myself, but I couldn't fit all that stuff into the 20 pages allotted for the chapter.

The second filter is urgency. Correcting defects and problems is the first thing a player is likely to need. For instance, learning how to clear reed obstructions is an essential technique, as a
reed may be misaligned, suffer from metal burrs due to manufacturing
errors, or may simply get some gunk stuck in it - fibers, dried, saliva,
 etc.

I provide a table of symptoms, likely causes, and corrective actions for the most basic problems a player is likely to encounter.

For more check out the table of contents:

http://www.amazon.com/Harmonica-For-Dummies-Winslow-Yerxa/dp/047033729X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357763678&sr=8-1&keywords=harmonica+for+dummies#reader_047033729X

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa
Resident Harmonica Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance