Subject: [Harp-L] big harmonicas

Hi Eric:

That's specifically a Hohner Super 64 Chromonica (it's a 16 hole chromatic)
 in the photo. (I have some of those and the shape is unmistakable).

Just because he may have been a primarily diatonic player, doesn't mean he
might not have used a chromatic for 'blues-style' chromatic play, which
usually  means more chording and not playing actual songs the way most purely
chromatic  players do. It's a different mind-set altogether.

Elizabeth
PS: what convinces me Snooky Pryor IS actually playing it in the  photo and
not merely 'posing' is that he's holding a diatonic in his right hand  the
way players do who 'switch off' from one instrument to  another and has a
microphone up to the chrom, so this photo was likely  taken during a
performance.

"Message: 3
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 19:44:11 -0500
From: Eric Miller  <miller.eric.t@xxxxxxxxx>
To:  Harp-L _harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx)

so, as a new player who is used to the standard sized 10 hole marine  band
size harp...whenever I see a picture of somebody sporting one of these  big
harps I wonder what they are.

I know chromatics are bigger...but  I'm pretty sure a lot of these guys are
strictly diatonic guys based on their  playing styles.

what are these big harps?

here's
<http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LffMieGML._SL500_AA300_.jpg>an
example