[Harp-L] Alan Lomax's Massive Archive Goes Online

Not sure if this is old news for you but it's new news to me!

I can't get over the hollers and worksongs in these recordings from 'unidentified prisoners', and some lovely Sonny Terry in there deep down.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2012/03/28/148915022/alan-lomaxs-massive-archive-goes-online

'Folklorist Alan Lomax spent his career documenting folk music traditions from around the world. Now thousands of the songs and interviews he recorded are available for free online, many for the first time. It's part of what Lomax envisioned for the collection — long before the age of the Internet.
Lomax recorded a staggering amount of folk music. He worked from the 1930s to the '90s, and traveled from the Deep South to the mountains of West Virginia, all the way to Europe, the Caribbean and Asia. When it came time to bring all of those hours of sound into the digital era, the people in charge of the Lomax archive weren't quite sure how to tackle the problem.

"We err on the side of doing the maximum amount possible," says Don Fleming, executive director of the Association for Cultural Equity, the nonprofit organization Lomax founded in New York in the '80s. Fleming and a small staff made up mostly of volunteers have digitized and posted some 17,000 sound recordings.'

Thanks to Joe Filisko's 'You missed monday' blog for the heads up!

Many thanks

Ben
Ben Hewlett
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx