Re: [Harp-L] 8. Re: Les is More !,-)

Rick Dempster wrote:
<Yeah Sandy; I'll play the CD again, but I remember hearing the odd one or
<two. It's amazing just how little Don actually uses conventional bends, let
<alone the reverse ones.
<Don is definitely NOT in the 'Look ma! No hands' (quote from Toots T. in
<R.Hunter's Jazz Harp, talking about harp technique) catagory. He's not
<trying to be clever, just playing music.

Since "Jazz Harp" came up, I might as well mention that the book contains a transcription (with arrow and standard notation) of Les's solo on the Harmonicats' "Harmonica Boogie."  It's a great solo, played in first position on a D diatonic (as I recall) in the top two octaves.  I am absolutely sure that there are no overblows on it.  Hard as it may be to believe, entire decades went by in the 20th century where harp players didn't overblow (and didn't miss it, either--what were we thinking?).

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick