RE: [Harp-L] Reed Chamfering

Drag reduction is always a good thing.  In sports such as performance sailing and Formula 1, huge sums are spent chasing "slippery" shapes.   My experiance with chamfering comes from polishing reeds with a Shofu Brownie point.   I round over and smooth the top edges of the reed as well as polish its surface.  The results are not as pronounced as shown in the wonderful pictures by Rick, but no question from my experiance about the improvement in reed response and brighter sound.  I also emboss but principally to smooth over the ninety degree corner of the slot. The hypotheses might be "reducing air flow resistence on the reed results in improved performance".  Thank you and please continue to share your vast knowledge with the List. Best regards and Happy New Year, Blunt White> Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 11:47:15 +0000