Re: [Harp-L] 0-80 x 1/16" screws for reed replacements

I disagree that grinding off the excess screw length is "not doing the job right" but recognize that you prefer not to do so. That is a discussion we can have over a beer at SPAH.

McMaster Carr's SS 0-80 screws are in the neighborhood of 6c each in quantities of 100.....quite a bit less costly than 50c ea in quantities of 200.

Those little screws will shear easily with the right tool.  Some wire-stripper tools have provisions for shearing screws but the smallest size is 4-40.  The shear consists of a scissors-like set of blades.  You insert the screw in a threaded hole in one blade allowing the unwanted length to protrude into a clearance hole in the other blade.  Then the blades move and the screw is neatly sheared.

Such a tool would allow you to cut the screw to any desired length to accommodate reeds and plates of various thicknesses.  The threaded hole protects the threads from damage...except on the part of the screw to be discarded. Then backing it out of the threaded hole cleans up any burr at the end.

If the metal were not too hard to drill and tap, you could actually make one of a pair of scissors.

If I required many screws of an odd length, I would make a simple tool of a strip of water-hardening tool steel from McMaster, heat the parts red with a propane torch and drop them in a cup of water. Or...you could anneal, machine, and re-harden pieces of a hacksaw blade.

Then you would no longer be limited by standard screw lengths.

Vern