Re: [Harp-L] Speaking of Alan Wilson...

A lot of good comments from Richard, Joe and Mick. I would like to add a couple of things:

In the mid-70's when I bought an off-key harp such as a C# or a B they were far superior to the usual C, D, A, G, etc. I have a theory that only the most senior Hohner tuners tuned the off-key harps leaving the mainstream keys to the less experienced tuners. I don't know if there's any truth in that except for the empirical evidence that I gathered long ago.

Also... Tony Glover's book was absolutely pathetic by today's standards but the most important thing I got out of it was to listen to and try to emulate the masters (LW, Sonny's, etc). Jon Gindick did release a book in 1979 that was much better and was long before Steve Baker's. I have a 1939 Larry Adler chromatic 'how to' book. It doesn't help much though.

Also, Mick stated that we couldn't slow stuff down to learn it. True, I ruined a lot of LP's sliding the stylus back to a point and we didn't have loops but then I got a hold of a reel to reel where I could dump a cassette (remember those things?) onto to the reel to reel at 15" per second and play it back at 7.5" per second. Yeah, it was slowed down and sounded like it was under water but it served it's purpose.

I coined a phrase a couple of decades ago (though I'm sure someone else has said it too because there are very few new ideas) that "All technology in interim except the wheel because we're always going to need the wheel." There is an argument that the wheel will one day be obsolete but there will always be gears, etc. Also, in electrical engineering, frequency is thought of as something that rotates in a circle (a wheel if you will). They use the unit circle which means the radius is one and the distance around the circle (circumference) is 2 Pi. So there's always gonna be a wheel. Anyone remember when the Mac IIfx came out and it was called "Wicked Fast" by Apple? Yeah right. A whole 40 MHz of blazing processing power.

On another note, Joe, in the early to mid 70's I was in college and a military dependent and bought a lot of harmonicas at a Marine base in San Diego. I t was the Marine Corp Recruit Depot but certainly not a depot for returning harps. Remember those bellows? Haven't seen one in years. They often didn't give us true insight into the harmonica.

So, I ask again, where can I get Blind Owl Blues?

Taco