From: David Fairweather <dmf273@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>Â
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2013 1:53 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson's timed vibrato

I'm about half way though reading Rebecca Winters' biography of Alan
Wilson, "Blind Owl Blues".ï I've just finished a chapter devoted to his
harmonica playing.ï Although it contains some new, to me information - like
his doing the bullfrog thing with his cheeks when he played a la Dizzy
Gillespie, so far I'm disappointed to find no mention of his superb timed
vibrato.ï To me that vibrato is unique and I've been trying to emulate it
ever since I picked up a harp, with only limited success.

So I think its time once again to turn to the experts here on Harp-L.ï How
do you think he did it?ï Listen, for example, to Canned Heat's "Goin' Down
Slow".ïÂhttp://youtu.be/lRPcxbagJ-U

How do you think he's doing it?ï I always thought it was a diaphragm or
throat vibrato or a combination of the two, but Jason Ricci told me that he
thinks its tongue vibrato!ï The tongue would certainly allow for the
perfect timing, but I can't get that fullness of tone with just my tongue.
Can you? On the other hand, even after years of practice I can't quite get
that perfect timing with my diaphragm or throat..