Re: [Harp-L] Blackie Schackner RIP

 Blackie was one of my inspirations.  I have a cassette tape of his Isaac Stern violin pieces that I need to convert to CD. We posted on Harp L and exchanged several emails on technical subjects.

In 2010, I sent Blackie a stainless steel 270 comb.  In response he sent me his beautiful (both musically and graphically) original hand-written arrangement of Granada. He played it at SPAH99  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVtWE8zVBRc

Later I performed it in our retirement community.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2txelHP6ZQ
You can recognize the arrangement by the form of the piece if not for the quality of the harmonica playing.
After listening to it on Youtube, his comment was, "It was interesting hearing how someone else played it."  Although I suspect this was "Damning by faint praise," he held himself to the highest standards and had no reason not to judge my amateur performance by them. In any case, I enjoyed playing it for my neighbors and friends and will always be grateful to Blackie for the opportunity to try. Hearing Granada will always bring Blackie to mind.

He was a kind, generous, and accomplished harmonica musician.

I have the arrangement on my computer for harmonica and piano.  In honor and memory of Blackie, I will share it with the harmonica community.  I can email a copy to any of you chromatic players who wish to have it.

Vern