[Harp-L] Re: Harmonica Tuning Sequence

Denny, it sounds like you are trying to learn to do too much all at  once.

Here's a few pointers I've gleaned from attending seminars  conducted by
various masters of this craft:  It is important  to learn these procedures one
at a time... attain repeatable results  with one process before moving to
the next.  If you try  to tune, gap, emboss and arc all at the same time you
won't know how one  step is affecting the other, or even if you have any of
them right... it  will wind up being a train wreck.  Adjust the gaps before
embossing,  you don't want to try to emboss around a  misaligned reed.  To
practice embossing find a reed that  sounds a clear note but requires a lot
more air than you want it to,  it need not be in tune.  Emboss much more
gently than you think is  needed and then test, keep repeating until you have a
good  result.  Keep in mind that other factors can affect reed response,
embossing will for example not correct a leak caused by a warped plate or
comb, you might want to check for any such issues before you begin  working on
the reeds... don't over tighten the plates!  As Winslow  mentioned, tuning
should come last, if done properly it should  not affect the other steps.
I'd conquer the  above before moving on to things like arcing or reed
replacement.

Your 1847 has stainless reeds, the Delta Frost reeds are phosphor  bronze,
each will require different levels of force and time, and possibly
different tools, in order to accomplish the same results as  on brass.

Another good tuning kit and instruction book are offered by  Richard Sleigh.

Get to a SPAH convention, you won't believe how much you can learn about
this topic by attending!

Christopher Richards
Harmonica Planet.com

In a message dated 12/16/2013 11:04:37 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,