Re: [Harp-L] CX 12s and their sticky notes.

Hi John -

There are endless discussions on this subject on the slidemeister forum (http://www.slidemeister.com/forums) so you might want to poke around there.

In short, there are many problems with windsaver valves on chromatics in general, and some folks have an especially hard time with the CX12s. There are also more solutions than problems, but not every solution works for everyone or every axe.

I am _not_ a harmonica tech, just a player. But here's the simplest thing I can recommend for starters, I've been using this simple technique for a while now with great results:

Remove the slide and cover (easy to do with a CX12) and using a tiny dab of water on your finger, run your finger across a bar of hand soap. Then _carefully_ lift each of the exposed windsavers (using a small shim of some sort) and apply (using your finger) a tiny bit of the soapy water to the underside of each valve _and_ do the same between the valve layers (there are two layers to each valve). Re-coat your finger with the soapy water after every few valves.

The whole process takes a minute or two once you get the hang of it.

This will likely help, if not solve, your problem until the next time the valves get dirty.

Chances are that the inside valves are OK, so you shouldn't need to remove the reed plates.

A slightly more drastic approach is to replace the windsavers on all the funky notes. That's not all that hard to do, and Hohner does sell packs of windsavers.

Finally, you might consider hiring one of the many harp techs to do a full maintenance on the harp, but that will cost you a bit.

That's just my 2 cents. There are many other tricks / solutions out there.

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com