Re: [Harp-L] slide tolerances

I have done many measurements using a depth micrometer.  I agree with Joe's numbers. More than .003" is leaky and less than .002" is insufficient clearance. I have measured clearances on 270s up to .007".

Hohner does a poor job of controlling slide clearance. They bend up the flanges of the U-channel and then use whatever clearances result.  In my opinion, they need another operation to accurately machine the height of the flanges.  I made some little jigs to perform this operation that I sent to some of the better-known technicians.  Inquire if your technician can scrape your U-channel.

Clearance is more critical in short-stroke slides in straight-tuned instruments such as the 270.  This is because the paths through the slide from hole to hole are much shorter than they are in the long-stroke slides of cross-tuned instruments such as a CX12 or 64.

To check the hole-to-hole leakage, remove the covers, stand in front of a mirror and blow one hole while blocking the two adjacent holes.  Lifting of the adjacent valves will indicate the amount of leakage through the slide.

Of all the things that you can do to improve the performance of a chromatic, reducing excess clearance is the most effective by a wide margin.

Vern