[Harp-L] use of technique

I just saw this, about Jim Hall, the jazz guitar player, just died, and there's one sentence that's pretty good, no matter what your instrument
First paragraph for context, second one is the Good One.

"What seems kind of frivolous and doesn't really impress me is guys, people, women ... who have amazing technique but everything sounds worked out," Hall said in a 2003 interview for the National Endowment for the Arts. "They go through these chord changes with all these chops.

"Usually I wish I had the kind of technique to do that and then not do it, sort of. I like to make some kind of composition happen while I'm playing. That involves motive development. ... I also love melodies. So I try to play melodies over tunes — have it go someplace and then come back."

The sentence that says a lot is this:

"Usually I wish I had the kind of technique to do that and then not do it "

jk