Re: [Harp-L] Working on groove

I think internalizing the groove means that you can stand up there alone and play solo with such a compelling feel that the audience, in a sense, "fills in" the missing rhythm section with their imagination.

-----Original Message-----
From: Boris Plotnikov <ploboris@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, Aug 31, 2013 3:26 am
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Working on groove

Sorry guys, but just working with rhythm section and listening to them is
often not enough. For most people it's too hard to just feel the groove by
listening. There're some schools on working on groove. Once after Chris
Michalek's advice I check Victor Wooten's "Groove Workshop" DVD. Despite
he's bass player, It's incredible DVD on music itself, especially on
groove. There're some simple rhytmic excercises which will help to
understand what is rhythm and what is groove (working with pulses, rests
and accents). It really changed my mind. Highly recommended.
Actually it's very important to understand at least 16-th puls and sextole
pulse and have abilities to accent any of them and to skip any of them and
to play odd groups (e.g. accent every third 16-th).
It's very important to have ability to play with the offbeat metronome.
Also I recommend Konnakol indian school of rhythm. Also you can check some
drummer's schools.

--
Thanks, Boris Plotnikov
http://borisplotnikov.ru