Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 2013

On Aug 29, 2013, at 1:59 PM, Randy Singer wrote:

> i think joe did an outstanding job at the jazz jam.....almost as good as the last guy....):LOL

     Btw, for those concerned, the 'last guy' WAS the great Randy Singer. For you history buffs, It all happened like this. I had suggested a jazz showcase at spah 1992.
But the president Gordon Mitchell didn't feel it was needed. When I brought it up to the next president Bob Williams, he didn't feel it was needed. They didn't feel the cost of the combo was justified and there weren't enough jazz lovers.

 What was happening was that Ron Kalina would wander into the bars and start playing piano. I would join in on harmonica.

     Ron, ever the comedian, would keep changing keys unpteen bazillion times and I could only stay with him for about 6-7 keys. THEN came handy Randy. He could keep up with Kalina. Then I think I missed a spah and when I came back the next year, Randy had talked Williams into the jazz jam. (Originally 1 night).

So...Randy is the one who deserves the congratulations. He took the first step in the 1000 mile journey.

> The only way I can suggest to make it better is to have someone adjust the sound system for each song and each harmonica player.

And I appreciate your help. The sound man was still tied up in the main ball room, and I don't usually DO sound. You & Gary Lehman were a blessing.

> The settings for a chrom player are totally different than a diatonic player.  The volume will either be too loud or too soft without adjustment.
>
> CONGRATULATIONS JOE!!!!!!!!!!
>
> PS,
>
> years ago, I conducted a master jazz jam, invitation only on the main stage. Would love to have spah reconsider this idea again

Yes, and I think we did Bluesette. I am still grateful for that. Not many masters will share a stage with a lesser player. Like when we played duets at your gig at the beach club. I would like to see more of that.

Jo-Zeppi