[Harp-L] RE: Harp-L Digest, Vol 120, Issue 47

I do a lot of playing with horns on Jazz Gigs and with orchestras.  Two
primary problems I have encountered:

1. Intonation with horns and keyboards/piano.  I tune all of my chromatics
to 441 which is right for the way I blow, brings me to 440 and allows enough
room for the horns, mainly reeds, to match.  This is especially important
when playing in unison.

2. Getting the right harmonies and blend, especially with Clarinet.  Through
the years, we have worked it out.  Even have a good sound with Alto Saxes.

Stryker

<Richard Hunter writes:

'Straight-up harp certainly lives in the trumpet range. Harp through a pitch
shifter can live almost anywhere. An octave down puts the harp into tenor
sax range; two octaves down puts harp into the tuba range, with a
characteristically tuba-like attack.

All by way of saying that the options for harp in horn sections are wider
than they used to be. Intonation is indeed a challenge, but probably no more
so than for saxophone, though sax players have the ability to adjust pitch
both upwards and downwards while playing, which harp players can't do.

Thanks, Richard Hunter'
--
Later,
Rosco>