Subject: Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 2013

You were SO missed, Rob. I heard several people comment disappointedly when
 they realized you wouldn't be there for this party. Me too, especially
after I  missed the last 2 SPAHs for reasons which couldn't be helped.

Smokey's Jazz Jams were, quite literally, unbelievable. He kept them
running very smoothly. It wasn't his fault that the lounge area (of the Bar) was
a very bad space for acoustics and the drummer of the 3 piece back-up band
simply refused to tone his levels down, even when asked nicely. Even  from
only a few feet away I could scarcely hear most of the chromatic players
over him--and only a few of the really loud diatonic guys during the last Jam.
 Both SmoJoe and Gary Lehmann tried their best to get the overall sound
down  while boosting the harmonica players' mics but --with the addition of
noise from  the numbers of people talking and the high ceilings and weird
shaped space,  it was far from optimum.

It still killed, though--I saw Hotel Staff continuously poking their heads
in to see just WHO was playing. I'd earlier met a couple of guys who seemed
 particularly interested so told them that AS hotel and  security personnel
they should stop by/find out about SPAH, and they did.  They were most
impressed- especially when I told one that the guy playing  at the time was from
Sweden (Filip Jers). St. Louis people know about music and  blues, what
they DIDn't know was about the international interest in and level  of such
excellent harp playing, especially from such disparate people from all  over
the World. One told me he'd had NO idea at all that 'this' was happening  and
was excited by it.

That's what SPAH does--educate wherever it goes. One young guy at the front
 desk too tried to hide from me his newly bought (and being played for the
first  time!) harp as I went by. I laughed and stopped to ask him about it,
which made  him very happy--so we had a brief discussion about his
excitement over  his new instrument. He was dying to begin practicing to try to
duplicate the sounds he was hearing. I know we made some new recruits at the
Renaissance....'Another 'few' bite the dust'. :)

My single (and only quibble because I keep hoping for a less high-powered
jazz experience for us not-so-high-powered players) is that, especially at
this  SPAH--the LEVEL of Jazz Jam playing was just so far beyond anything the
average  person has ever heard before, even some excellent diatonic players
who'd usually  join in at a jam, demurred. The 'young guns' for the most
part were showing  their stuff--and they came from everywhere. The intensity
was beyond  amazing. Anyone who still might think there's a dearth of young
players  'coming up' and/or with no jazz chops needed to be there to hear the
future of  harp playing. And I KNOW there were equal numbers at the Blues
and Country Jams.

We ended up at the 'New York' table for the Banquet (which was very cool).
Sammy Friedman (we'd met before at GSHC), Conor Frontera (from Brooklyn),
another young player whose name I missed and a young guy named Garrison with
his  Dad; Wendell (a recent Jason Ricci interviewee) and a young lady whose
name I  also didn't get rounded us out. We felt like the parents, but what
fun to be  with them! Very cool dinner companions. I somehow missed Conor's
playing but he  shone during the raffle. What a great voice--personality
galore and enunciating  perfectly so everyone could check their ticket numbers.
What a pleasure to meet  these young people. I have ZERO worries about the
'future of the harmonica' with  this latest group, along with Jay Gaunt, LD
Miller and their entire  'class' who came before. They're out there--one
simply has to pay attention. (I  know you were personally involved with some of
these kids so thought you'd enjoy  seeing a video I stumbled across of
Joshua King (believe it or not he's TWELVE,  now) participating in the Martin
Luther King observance in NYC earlier this  year. Blew ME away.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI8DHJ3hfJo

With so many amazing players from all over the World in one place it was
overwhelming..YOU would have been in 7th Heaven there. I really missed what
you,  Phil and MadCat would have brought to those jams and sure would have
loved  hearing Take 5 the way I've heard you all play it before. No one took
it on this  time. So--next year--same town, same same hotel. Meet us in St.
Louis,  and SOMEbody make sure to play Take 5 for me, please? :)

Best,

Elizabeth

"Message: 11
> Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 17:56:55 -0400
> From:  Rob Paparozzi <chromboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Harp-L] SPAH  2013
> To: Bob Cohen <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc:  "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
>

> Yes, I  agree Bobâ.hats off to Winslow and the tireless staff at SPAH and
The St. Louis  Club. I have only seen spectacular reports from the US and
abroad.

> Very sorry I couldn't make it and a belated HAPPY 50 years (and many
more) to my favorite Harmonica Organization in the world!