RE: [Harp-L] harps with horns

Robert posted:
> At local jam sessions (Phoenix) I am experiencing a curious lack of
> interest for including harp with a horn section.
>
> Jams cover some fine R&B tunes that would be so exciting with a simple 2 or
> 3 part harmonized back up.
>
> More players can participate. The audience gets a richer experience. And we
> all grow in our musicianship.
>
> I rarely see horns cooperating, even when there are 2-3 on stage at once.
> Are horn players only SOLOISTS?
>
> How do I get there from here?
Robert-
My take on this comes from both sides of the fence.
You could have horn players that have been burned by harp players that simply need to shed - learn what the heck they are doing and then play better.
-Many harp players don't know what to play, don't listen well enough to quickly and accurately learn what to play on the spot.
-Harmonica intonation, especially on diatonic can be sketchy.
-Many horn & harp players players don't understand harmony and good voice leading...
-Harp players are generally in the trumpet range and therefore in a 2-3 "horn" section would need to play lead (i.e. melody of the parts) well, does the harp player know what to play? does he know???
-Blend of harp can be tricky - through an amp or PA
-Harp players don't always articulate properly - pucker can help here- the tongue is then in a position to articulate the same way all other wind instruments articulate.

You could also have horn players that have no idea of how to play in a section themselves,. An educated harmonica player may have to teach them.
Also -Ego (harp & horn players both) gets in the way of everything good in life, especially good section playing. There is no "I" in TEAM.

Michael Peloquin
Check out my new DVD sets: Pro Harmonica/Pro Saxophone Secrets Made Simple
 http://harpsax.com