[Harp-L] Re: 2 draw 3 blow

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 11:18:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Hildebrand <airmojoken@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Draw 2 vs Blow 3 (diatonic)
To: Rick Dempster <rickdempster33@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: harp-L list <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

Exactly Rick!  A great example of using the "2D-3B-Bounce" !

The 3B is also great to help let out some air after all the inhale/draw notes.

Listen to the beginning of Doc Watson's "Freight Train Boogie":

http://youtu.be/-hPcO4pYxlo

Neal Pattman's song "Shortnin' Bread" came up on my iPod this morning while on my daily walk...  another good example:

http://youtu.be/in8o89_RNlk

And two of my favorite harp guys, Madcat Ruth and Richard Sleigh, playing "Georgie Buck":

http://youtu.be/oigfUGCltU0

So don't ignore the 3B... use it !

And if you "paddy richterfy" a harp you loose the "bounce", but open another useful door.

Ken H in OH

------
In my book "Master of the Blues Harp" I coined the term "the reverse slap" for the common blues harp move of 2-draw followed by a tongue slap on 3-blow (I believe David Barrett adopted it as well).  It sounds like this is what you're talking about here. This move can involve an embouchure switch (pucker to tongue-block) as well, and rhythmically it usually goes from the offbeat to the onbeat. In additional to funky feel it provides, it has the practical value of being a way to get rid of air. "Juke" is full of reverse slaps, and Big Walter used it right and left.

I now have all 37 of my Sing Out! harmonica columns online on my website, and took up the subject of the reverse slap in one them in my arrangement of "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot." The PDF of the  music is here-

Spring  2004 - The
        Reverse Slap: Swing Low, Sweet Chariot

All my SO! columns may be seen here-

http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/SO!.htm

Watch out for forthcoming YouTube videos from me on these columns. I'm learning Sony Movie Maker 12, and will putting up all kinds of harmonica and guitar stuff -fiddle tunes, blues lessons, etc. in the near future after I get the software down.

Glenn Weiser
Private Skype lessons now available
Web: www.celticguitarmusic.com