Re: [Harp-L] Stan Harper needs 00-90 screws & nuts

On Aug 20, 2013, at 1:35 PM, Winslow Yerxa wrote:

> Richard Farrell had access to stuff that nobody else seemed to be able to get.

Blackie Schackner and I turned Richard on to eyeglass screws. BUT...I'm sure we weren't the first to discover this. :)  Actually it started with sunglasses. Ray Bans used to have frames made on Mauritius island. I checked with my home town jeweler Frank Benesh and he was able to get almost anything tiny for work on watches and other jewelry. I sent an envelope of them off to Farrell. Actually it was the NUTS that were hard to get as most uses for these tiny screws were by THREAD-IN only.

The main problem: The angle of chamfer to the BOTTOMS of the countersunk heads had to be less than normal. Sort of flat or gradual. That way when working on watch parts that have chassis assemblies where the stock is only 1 mm or so in thickness, the chamfer doesn't take up the entire MEAT of the stock leaving nothing remaining for threads.
The rule of thumb for just about anything attached with machine screws is: TWO threads minimum.

> That said, you can get 00-90 countersunk screws and nuts from online suppliers. However, the diameter of the head is larger than the ones Farrell supplied (see what I mean?)

Yes, I see exactly what you mean. You 'could' hold the screws in a small vise grip and twirl it against a file and take some of the diameter down...but best to find the small diameter in the first place.

> which eats deeper into the reedplate when you countersink, leaving less of the reedplate's thickness to cut a thread to help hold the screw in place.

Oh, right, I hadn't gotten this far and I (basically) said the same thing above.

> The ones I've been able to find come from J. J. Morris Co., in Southbridge, MA.

Right again Wizard. Morris is right in the heart of what used? to be the American watch and clock industry.

Good post Winslow. Very helpful. I didn't have the source material any more. Thank you so much.
smokey joe