Re: [Harp-L] VIDEO-interesting use of a harmonica and lower POG octave usage in a pop rock tune

Robert Hale wrote:
<That sounds good! I'm going to try an accordion sound today with my RP355,
<octave down + slight detune.

The RP355 has a very nice pitch shifter for the octave down, and a nice Detune effect.  Unfortunately, you can't use both at once.  You also can't detune the pitch shifter to give you a detuned octave.

This is an important design limitation in the RP.  You get a lot of great FX, but their position in the FX chain is fixed, and you can't use more than one modulation effect (such as pitch shifting, chorus, vibrato, etc., etc.) in the chain.

The RP is more limited in this sense than some of the recent offerings from Line 6, Zoom, etc.  On the plus side, the RP does everything it does very well, and you get a lot of value for money.  The Zoom G3 offers the ability to chain up to six FX in any order you like, but the basic quality of the FX is lower than the RP's. The Line 6 stuff gives you great FX and more flexibility with a price tag roughly 50-100% higher than Digitech's for comparable gear.

All that said, adding a lower octave goes a long way towards building an accordian sound, all by itself.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick