[Harp-L] harp - position code

I have a similar approach, but not quite the same.

On my set lists and on my lyric/chord sheets for each song I list the title
and the key of the song separate from any harp reminders.  This clarifies
communication with other musicians who are not harp players, and avoids
confusing them with complicated harp info ;>)

Since the song information is already listed, if I need more information
for myself I just note which harp and position.  I leave off the "P" and
the key I will play in.  I just note Bb3, F2, LF2, C1, etc.

Sometimes I will use one key of harp and position for comping, and another
harp and position for soloing, or I will switch harps in the solo, so I
will list 2 (or more) keys of harp and each harp's accompanying position.
If I am using a keyed chromatic instead of a diatonic I would list
Bbchrom3, F2.

Reminders are mainly helpful to have when I am new to a song and need to
remember the harp and position I have chosen to perform the song.

So a basic entry on a set list might say:

 Midnight Special    G                   C2
 Summertime          Am                Cchrom4

If I have played a song enough that I know the key of harp and position
(like the two songs I listed above), I just list the song and key:

Midnight Special     G
Summertime            Am

Additional notation is unnecessary because the harp and position I use are
already well known by me.  Sometimes I might choose to play Summertime in
Am with Gchrom3 or G3 on a diatonic, but that is a choice I make in my
head, and that I don't bother to note.  If I have the song and key and I am
familiar with how I approach it with regard to position, I can make
alternate choices as I wish.

If someone wants to play/sing the song in a different key than what is
listed, I know the position I have chosen to use and I just pick the
appropriate harp to play in that key in the position I use.

I try to keep my harp reminders separate from the actual key of the song to
minimize any confusion to other musicians who might see my list or song
sheet.

Note:
If a song arrangement is new or different than what I am used to, I also
may make other notes about who will play the intro and any instrumental
ending and the order of solos:   "Bob/Doug/Matt".

At times I will note the intro chords, for example:  "in- Doug - verse" or
"in Bob - 5551," and for ending "Doug - comp 1" or " Matt - tag".

If there is not an instrumental intro, and the vocal starts by itself, I
would note "in-Cold."

Doug S.