[Harp-L] Don Les on Youtube

Like Rick Dempster, I have a great admiration for Don Les.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFNVTnfdi2c

This video is the first time I've seen him live. I would love to have met him. Not to be, of course.

What astounds me is what he achieved with 1st position. No tricks. Very accomplished bending up the top, not many low notes. Impeccable taste, timing and execution. I could easily take some years trying to figure out his style, it would be time well spent.

Also, he plays a Huang Silvertone. I'm familiar with this instrument, and, for a sub $20 diatonic, it is possibly the best thing going. But, imagine if he'd been able to get his hands on one of the high end diatonics now available. Better still, after it had passed through the hands of Joe Filisko or one of the other great customisers. These terrific new instruments, SO much easier to drive than their predecessors, would doubtless have increased his palette even more.

Again, not to be. We can only imagine. Still, this video is a treasure. Hopefully others will come to light.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.HarmonicaAcademy.com
...everyone plays