Re: [Harp-L] "Drone-Blocking"

Charlie Barath <harpcharlie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Here is an example of a technique that I call, for lack of a better term, "drone-blocking".
I didn't invent or discover this technique, by any means. I heard another harp player do it a while ago and I ran w/ it. (though I will take credit for coining the phrase)
I must say I have enjoyed exploring its potential. It's a real crowd pleaser. Hope you like it!"

This technique is one of the two major approaches underlying the solo harmonica pieces on my CDs from 1995 and 1998: "the Act of Being Free in One Act" and "The Second Act of Free Being."  Examples can be heard at:
https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hunterharp1
and
https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hunterharp2

The second major approach on these CDs is the use of non-standard diatonic harmonica tunings, which adds a lot of harmonic variation to the material.

The established musical term for the technique is counterpoint.  Essentially, by playing the harmonica from both sides of the mouth at once, with the tongue blocking the space in between, you create counterpoint in real time on the harmonica.  By moving around the harp and narrowing or expanding the space between the end notes, you can create complex melodies and countermelodies in real time.  My most advanced pieces using this technique include "Bela's World", "Widow's Walk," and "Requiem," all of which can be heard on "The Second Act of Free Being" (or at my website at hunterharp.com).

Another well-known master of this technique, who applied it mostly to folk-song material, is Sam Hinton  (http://www.samhinton.org/).  Both Sam and I have been cited as influences by George Winston, another fine harmonica player (who happens to have made a hell of a reputation for himself as a pianist, too).  I seem to recall the Filip Jers has used it in some of his compositions as well.

This technique has been around at least since the mid-twentieth century.  I don't know who invented it.  It's certainly cool stuff.  If I ever meet the guy who invented it, I'll thank him.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick