Re: [Harp-L] Old time player's harp questions

On Apr 13, 2013, at 2:31 PM, pneupco@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Back in the day when DeFord Bailey and all of the other greats were active, did they use strictly off-the-shelf MBs and Old Standbys which were used until they wore out and then a new one was gotten,

Usually.

> or did they have people on hand to keep their harps in tune and well adjusted?

Usually only with harmonica 'groups'. Such as the Rascals (Leo Freidman & Leo Diamond), or Harmonicats (Dick Gardner & Jerry Murad). Diatonics players? They usually did what they could to keep their harps working on their own.

> Did they do the work themselves?

Most tried to keep them running as best they could and then when they were shot, they would go in a junk box or off a bridge.

> It seems to me that I read somewhere that Larry Adler had a repairman/technician on call

Yes, Mr. Adler wasn't the least bit interested in how they work..only how they played. Pretty much the same for Meurkens, Galison, and several others.

> and I would imagine that some of the other big name night club/stage/vaudeville performers had someone as well.

Singleton acts (Blackie Schackner & others) usually did their own work...to a point. Adler only played stock chromatics in his early years. That way he could replace one if he lost luggage or messed one up.

> Was that common?

It is much more common today to have a repair man do your work. A lot depended on how good a persons hands (and eyes) were holding up.

smo-joe