[Harp-L] harp experience

Had an interesting experience last night. Two friends of mine were playing in a little place close to home, so my wife and I went out to eat and listen to them.
A guitar player, certainly one of the top guys in town (he teaches guitar at a music store and had his own rock band on the road for years) and his girlfriend, a really good singer. I have played with them before a little bit, but my harp playing has been mostly non-existent for the past year for various reasons. (I have had a couple of major surgeries and some other family stuff to deal with.)
I brought along some harps, because they always have me play a couple songs.
When I do this, I use a Harmonica Honker. It's easy to carry, I bring a mic cord and it sets up in less than a minute.
Anyway, I played and it went rather well. Good musicians, I have found, are much easier to play with.
Afterward, on their next break, the guitar player gave me a nice, sincere compliment on my playing on a song called Dream a Little Dream (Mommas and Poppas song, maybe?) All improvised and first time I have played it.
Later, after I got home, he sent a note on Facebook, again with some praise and also telling me that some people were there for whom they are going to play a private party in July. "They said to invite the harmonica player."
That pretty much made my year.
I have been reading with interest, the threads lately about pedals and various ways to play without an amp.
I am not claiming the Honker is the solution to everything, but it sure is easy to deal with and if you get the eq set right on the PA system, it does a pretty good job. I have recorded with it and I liked the result just fine. I have bullet mics and a Blues Jr. I have a Harp Commander. I have downsized considerably, but still have too much stuff.
I think we get a little obsessed with all this gear stuff. I doubt the average person can tell any real difference, as long as you have some kind of natural tone and you don't play off-key.
just my ramblings for the night. I haven't posted in a long time.
Steve in Minn. (where it snowed about an inch at my house yesterday).