Subject: RE: [Harp-L] SPAH St Louis 2013 hotel

Steve:

Once you become a SPAH member, all of this info will be sent to you in the
mail with your SPAH package along with issues of Harmonica Happenings so I
suggest you sign up, something I believe you can still do at the
_www.spah.org_ (http://www.spah.org)  site. Click on the log in/join link.  It's
$50.00 this year for an individual/$65.00 per family to join for the year.

The typical SPAH convention Hotel Room usually comes in around $99 per
night (or less, depending on how good a deal SPAH arranged with the Hotel). Of
course there are always those 'extra' taxes Smokey's mentioned. Many people
 wish to keep costs down so if you're traveling alone and would like to
share a room to cut expenses, there will be a bulletin board you can post  on
at the SPAH site as the Convention draws closer.

The entire cost of the Festival (which is a more accurate description to me
 since I think Convention gives some people the wrong idea about what it's
like) is roughly $175(?) if I remember correctly (unless it's gone up a few
 dollars) INCLUDING your Saturday night dinner for which most people do
dress up  a bit, although some don't. This includes ALL of the evening shows
and  seminars, as well as the Saturday Night main Entertainment (the biggest
night) with one exclusion: the Al and Judy Smith chromatic teaching  Seminar
which is a separate charge (a nominal $30 fee - paid separately for  those
who wish to sign up and usually quickly booked up). You get a LOT for your
money at SPAH. The biggest cost will be the Airfare to and from (assuming
you're  flying?) and your meals apart from the Banquet. IF you can drive there
 and/or share a ride; pick up some groceries to keep in your  room, you'll
be considerably ahead of the game.

Harmonica will be heard in every nook and cranny of the Hotel --at least on
 those floors designated for the Festival and in rooms you pass by where
harmonica players are staying, as well as outside. Groups of all  sizes play
together everywhere and you'll make friends immediately. All it  takes is a
smile and an introduction. Once you register you'll have a name tag  to wear
and inside your packet will include your booklet and list of events. I'd
suggest you don't miss the Filisko teach-ins and do check out the evening
Blues  and Jazz jams --since they're both extremely enjoyable even if you
prefer to  listen in at first.

Trust me, you'll remember this as one of the most enjoyable times of your
life and will come away having made a whole host of new harmonica friends.
I'm  sure hoping I can get back to SPAH this year--especially since it's the
big 50th  Anniversary celebration. I've missed it very much after attending
14 Harmonica  conventions (including 6 SPAH's) since 2005.

Best,
Elizabeth

"Message: 7