Re: [Harp-L] amp-less performing (and recording)

back in the ol' funk days, when I used to do work for United Sound Studio in Detroit, I'd see all kinds of musicians come in and plug directly into the soundboard to lay down album tracks....no amps.

-----Original Message-----
From: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Harp L Harp L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, Apr 3, 2013 9:29 am
Subject: [Harp-L] amp-less performing (and recording)

Last year I hired guitarist Rusty Zinn (Mark Hummel, Kim Wilson) to provide
guitar backing on the CD for the book Blues Harmonica For Dummies.

I had already laid down scratch harmonica tracks and just needed to capture
guitar. I hired a recording studio, thinking that Rusty would show up with an
amp. But he showed up on foot (whatever happened to that huge Cadillac he used
to drive?) with a guitar and a Line 6 Pod. He said he was done lugging amps
around and that he could get the sounds he needed and wanted with that small,
light rig.

And he was right. We didn't even use the main studio. We did everything in the
control room with the engineer and he fed the Pod directly into the board, with
perfectly fine results. Later, when we needed to do some follow-up sessions, we
did them in my dining room - no problem with mics picking up the passing traffic
on Highway 1.

So, yeah, the romance of amps and the fine detail of the sounds they can produce
may be the path for some folks. But for others, even some of the finest in the
business, dialing in your sound on an effects box and plugging into the mixing
board is also a very fine - and practical - option.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa
Resident Harmonica Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance