Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harp Break set to Dirty

BluzeHarp@xxxxxxx wrote:

<Richard Hunter wrote:
<<Of these clips, I enjoyed the SM57 most--the sound is plenty tough  and
<<in-your-face, with more definition than the Bullet.  The SM58 seemed  more
<<distant--undoubtedlyy the result of the pop filter that surrounds the  element
<<in the 58.

<I haven't seen the entire thread, this might have been covered but has  the
<bullet mic been identified?  There's dozens of variants  between element
<types in a bullet, each with it's own distinct flavor.   There's a world of
<difference between a vintage CR, and the R7  or MC-151 crystals, and the less
<desirable elements currently in use  by Shure and Astatic/Hohner.  Design
<choices and construction quality  of a bullet mic often come into play as
<well.  I'd add a 2nd  bullet, if the first was a crystal then the 2nd could be a
<CR,  then you have a comparison that is somewhat more equal to the two
<flavors  of the stick mic's.
<etc...

Thanks Chris for this information.  My own knowledge of mics is nothing like as extensive as Chris's, and of course the mic has a huge effect on the sound of the entire device chain.  So I greatly appreciate these comments.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick