[Harp-L] Re: Harp Break set to Dirty

Richard Hunter wrote:
Of these clips, I enjoyed the SM57 most--the sound is plenty tough  and
in-your-face, with more definition than the Bullet.  The SM58 seemed  more
distant--undoubtedlyy the result of the pop filter that surrounds the  element
in the 58.

Mike  Fugazzi wrote:
<1.  Bullet mic no effects
<2.  Bullet  with effects
<3.  SM57 with effects
<4.  SM57 no  effects
<5.  SM58 no effects
<6.  SM58 with  effects
I haven't seen the entire thread, this might have been covered but has  the
bullet mic been identified?  There's dozens of variants  between element
types in a bullet, each with it's own distinct flavor.   There's a world of
difference between a vintage CR, and the R7  or MC-151 crystals, and the less
desirable elements currently in use  by Shure and Astatic/Hohner.  Design
choices and construction quality  of a bullet mic often come into play as
well.  I'd add a 2nd  bullet, if the first was a crystal then the 2nd could be a
CR,  then you have a comparison that is somewhat more equal to the two
flavors  of the stick mic's.

While Mike's comparison is indeed useful, this sort of thing can  never
tell the whole story.  Different people can and  will exhibit different tone
while using the  exact same gear, one person will  naturally sound better
using mic A, and the next will  naturally sound better using mic B or C.  Body
architecture, cupping  technique and playing technique all come into play.
There's no 'one  size fit's all way to do something like this. I'd love to
see a  2nd comparison where everything is dialed in to make each mic  sound
the best it can.  And the then the same two sets  of sequences repeated  with
several different players.  Maybe a good use of the mic  and amp room at
SPAH?

Richard, I think the difference between the 57 and the 58 may have  more to
do with proximity and compression than the pop  filter.  The 58 has that
dome on the end, it has volume within for the  sound waves to disperse, and it
spaces you further away from the  element.  The two mic's also cup much
differently,  an interesting test might be to pull out the pop filter  and/or
double it, and then repeat the experiment.

Don't get me wrong, I think the comparison offered by Mike is a  good
contribution, and that Richard's pursuit of alternate means to  the traditional
bullet + tube amp is a valid approach that many will want  to adopt.  My
point is only that there are a ton of variables, and  that you never really know
if something will suit you until  it's in your hands, whether it be a
harmonica, mic, amp or effect device...  enjoy the journey!

Christopher Richards
Stage Manager - SPAH Convention  spah. org
Soul' Proprietor - Twin Tone Harmonica Microphones  harmonicaplanet.  com
Author - The free Harp Mic Buyers Guide  harmonicaplanet. com
Publisher - The Colorado Blues Jam Post
Co Producer - Greeley Blues Jam   On Facebook,  or greeleybluesjam. com

The GBJ is an annual non-profit festival held the 2nd weekend every  June.
We give away hundreds of harmonica's w/lessons on our blues  history stage.
John Mayall headlines June 8th 2013!   Island Grove Arena,  Greeley
Colorado