From: Garry <harp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, Sep 30, 2012 1:22 pm
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Practice Makes Better -- Part 4

On 09/29/2012 05:47 PM, Elizabeth Hess wrote:
> "Practicing" Without the Harmonica
>
> So, for those days on which we forget, or obstreperously defy the authority of
Maestro Hunter and venture forth from the house WITHOUT a harmonica in our
pocket (shame, shame!), what are some ways we can practice anyway?

> Deep breathing.
> Rhythm patterns.
> Articulations, such as glottal stops (the sound you make in the back of your
throat when you say, "Uh-oh, I left the house without a harp in my pocket.").
> Singing or humming tunes, or licks you might improvise.
>
> Other ideas?
i've been working myself up to singing lately,
so i use my commuting time to practice that,
singing along to whatver;'s playing on the stereo
or in my head. scatting harp parts is useful, too.

i also find that i can practice harp things without a harp,
rhythm patterns, vibrato (which i still do poorly if at all), etc.

--
We make a living from what we get,
but we make a life from what we give.