Re: [Harp-L] Practice Makes Better -- Part 4

On 09/29/2012 05:47 PM, Elizabeth Hess wrote:
"Practicing" Without the Harmonica

So, for those days on which we forget, or obstreperously defy the authority of Maestro Hunter and venture forth from the house WITHOUT a harmonica in our pocket (shame, shame!), what are some ways we can practice anyway?

Deep breathing.
Rhythm patterns.
Articulations, such as glottal stops (the sound you make in the back of your throat when you say, "Uh-oh, I left the house without a harp in my pocket.").
Singing or humming tunes, or licks you might improvise.

Other ideas?
i've been working myself up to singing lately,
so i use my commuting time to practice that,
singing along to whatver;'s playing on the stereo
or in my head. scatting harp parts is useful, too.

i also find that i can practice harp things without a harp,
rhythm patterns, vibrato (which i still do poorly if at all), etc.

--
We make a living from what we get,
but we make a life from what we give.