RE: [Harp-L] bending notes

Hi John... I see nobody has yet answered your question, so I'll give it a whirl. First of all, we have to assume you are very new at harp. Inexperienced players always have trouble with bending notes, and especially on holes 2 and 3 draw.
My first guess is that you may not have a reallly good harmonica. Second, "drawing the air strongly" will result in problems. Once you get some experience bending, you will discover you really don't have to use any more force to bend notes than to play unbent ones. However, leaky harmonicas are harder to bend and if you don't have a quality instrument, it can hinder your abilitiy to learn.
I went through all that years ago and wrecked more than a few harmonicas in the process.
My advice is to buy a Special 20 or a Lee Oscar, or a Bushman Delta Frost.. They are all in about the same price range and are good airtight harps. If things don't get better then, post another note here on Harp-L and we will take it a step further.
Your vocal chords would not have any effect on this technique at all, in my opinion.
Hope this helps.
Steve Webb in Minn.