Re: [Harp-L] Practice Makes Better -- Parts 1 & 2

Three comments on this thread:

1) Dennis Gruenling shared his practice philosophy at a Jam Camp about 7 yrs
ago.  1/3 listening (harp music or other) - 1/3 technique practice (shakes,
blow bends, TB bends, etc) - 1/3 just jamming and playing and having fun.
The total time could be 15 min, 30 min 1 hr etc, but keep the ratios.  I've
kind of kept that in mind but only try to split my weekly practice time into
those three areas in general.
2) Iceman's 5 min per day mantra is well accepted guidance and is espoused
by many.  I agree.  Keep the harp in your mouth as much as possible, but
doing it every day works wonders.
3) I have recently found that learning specific solos is very useful.  Where
I once thought that was just learning to copy notes, I have been taught that
identifying the characteristics of those solos that make them great/iconic
and incorporating that into your playing pays dividends.  You may not repeat
that solo when you play, but the characteristics will infiltrate into your
playing.

Great topic, Elizabeth.

Fred S