Re: [Harp-L] Miles Davis

I would say that is true of just about any musician.  Tying in to the
emotion comments this week, that can be spun too.  You can say that a
person has their own voice and that comes through no matter what they play
OR that they stink because they sound the same no matter what they play
over.

FWIW, I contend most players have very limited vocabularies when
improvising and quickly end up playing the same things over and over.  We
give them a free pass when we like them (they have a voice!) and then slam
them when we don't like it (same thing all the time is boring).  Exceptions
can be made when they change contexts - like they have a typical 1st
position solo, or some different chormatic riffs.  Really, though, after a
few listens, most musicians' improvisations just repeat to a large extent
with the chunks of phrases mixed around.