Re: [Harp-L] Update on Harrison Harmonica/SPAH Scholarship Fund

On Sep 26, 2012, at 10:26 PM, The Iceman wrote:

> Well, Joseph. Glad you got your chance w/Paul and Tate.
>
> <<And, oh, btw, you were standing there one time when I played Chega de suidade
> (no more blues) FOR Mauricio Einhorn beCAUSE he told me to keep playing as it
> was a tune HE couldn't play. So this is an example of people not paying
> attention.>>
>
> I do not remember this moment, which was probably one moment out of 479 other moments that happened at that particular convention.

> J....This is understandable Larry. Inasmuch as you were some body and I wasn't. No problem. It's not about me anyway. I merely used myself as an example.
>

> Hard to pay attention to every little moment and remember them when focusing on running the thing.
J.... No problem. Believe me. I understand fully.

> However, if you had introduced yourself to me and voiced your opinion at being overlooked, that moment would have stuck with me.

Not MY style. And I didn't feel over looked. I knew my place..and I kept IN it. See, back then there were still a lot of the old timers around. People that had been in vaudeville, stage shows, concerts, recordings. I was a very small fish in a big pond. Just being around people like my friend Jerry Murad, meeting people like Al Fiore, and the other greats was more than ample joy for me. I'm just saying that when (and if) there is someone around who can do a decent job and not embarrass everyone, they should get a shot. Not me you understand, but someone who can play.

And with all due respect Larry, your memory of Spah 2002 is a wee bit off. I played Wed night. Nothing memorable but decent. Thur it was Philip Achille. He played classical. Stock & straight. Nothing memorable. Fri it was Gregoire Maret. He played light jazz. Not fancy, but clean. But nothing to call home about. Sat it was Fred Yonnett. He was FANTASTIC. And it was he that sounded like a nest of busy bees. ......not Maret.

> Bob and I were consciously working our way down the list of "left out players" and giving them their chance to shine -was part of our core philosophy.

I believe you. I just happen to be the type whom fades into the walls. I like to call myself mr. cellophane. Trust me. I think you're assuming I'm miffed. Well that isn't so. I'm more than happy just to be there. I can remember the details from all 17 Spahs I have been to. Some were great, some sucked. But that's just the way things go.

> Hope you feel better getting that off your chest, though. However, personal stuff like this is probably best discussed off list just between us.

> Nothing to get off of my chest. I just wanted to tell Bob Cohen that his ideas had some tricky parts. Hypothetically speaking, that is.  :)
Nothing more to say right now.   Jo-Zeppi.