Re: [Harp-L] Update on Harrison Harmonica/SPAH Scholarship Fund

On Sep 26, 2012, at 5:46 PM, The Iceman wrote:

> Bob Williams and I would look to the city in which the convention was held (I am remembering St. Louis in particular) and locate local harmonica heroes known to that particular city, but not to the SPAH membership.

This is true.

> They were invited to the convention and given a shot somewhere.

This is true.

> My memory of details is not great, but I do remember one St. Louis blues diatonic hero (not Sandy Weltman) was given a seminar slot. The local harmonica heroes were also comped a day pass, probably Thursday which used to be the Blues Night. I am trying to remember if they were asked to play at the end of the show in a guest spot. Seems to me that was our philosophy at the time, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were included in the show somewhere.

I wouldn't be surprised.

> How easy is that? Look to the city in which the convention is held and invite the local heroes not known to SPAH - no real travel or room expense to lay out.

This is true.

> Free pass to get in doesn't cost anything. They love the honor of a comped pass and the respect shown to them by SPAH. SPAH membership gets exposed to new talent. Who knows - may even entice another player to join SPAH....

This is true.

> btw, this stuff was so easily accomplished with just Bob and I running the idea past the BOD, given the green light, and we would just do it. no selection committees, no debates, no political maneuvering, no glad handing and backslapping, no bloated decision making protocol.

This is true.

> Life was easy and fun in the entrepreneurial spirit of can do and can do right now.

Of course, everything you say is true but to add one important item. You go to the locale where Spah is being HELD. You scout THAT area for talent.  So, by extrapolation, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to ascertain that St. Louis, Dallas, Detroit, Columbus, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, etc. do not encompass the entire country. In my case, I have been to 11 grade schools, 3 high schools, a trade school, and a jr. college. NONE of which are these city areas. So, being (basically) from Fla. by way of Pittsburgh, I could hardly expect anyone to know anything about me. I fly under the radar anyway.

I fully understand your position, and agree with all you have to say..to a point. MY point is that there are people out there whom can play..have shown up..and then may not show up again. I knew Gordon. I knew Bob. They both knew whom I hung around with. They both knew I could play. OR they should have, as they had heard me do so. And if I didn't impress them enough, that's no big deal. Don't get the wrong idea. I'm not complaining. I am speaking for others. I (myself) never asked to play. But you would think that in 10 years, someone might have asked. But no sweat Larry, as it's less work for me, and more time to just hang and enjoy.

Suddenly when Paul Davies, Doug Tate come into the picture, I am asked to play. I find that fascinating. And I don't usually have an arrogance to my persona but the way I feel is that if I am there for free, have come a long way, and supporting the organization to an average of $1,095.97 a clip (more if I bring my wife..which is rare),  it's incumbent on someone to ask ME to play, and not vice versa.

As it were, I have no problem at all with the situation for the last 6 years or so. I feel that things have improved a lot. And I trust they will continue to do so. At least I pray (in my own non religious way) that they do.

And, oh, btw, you were standing there one time when I played Chega de suidade (no more blues) FOR Mauricio Einhorn beCAUSE he told me to keep playing as it was a tune HE couldn't play. So this is an example of people not paying attention. So trust me, this is not a personal attack on anyone. And for anyone curious as to what level I am at..I am not a great player by any stretch, but my you tubes may give some idea. And shortly I will be releasing a few more. Because, after all, people need a good laugh.