Re: [Harp-L] reeds

The correct way is whatever works for you.  I think some terms like reed
arc/curve are misleading, as the goal initially was to REMOVER the
arc/curve.  At any rate, my preference is straight with the gap coming from
an angle towards the back of a reed.  Richard Sleigh does a fantastic job
describing this in his book.  I've see the analogy of a closing door
credited to Joe Filisko.  That is a good way to think of it too.

If you look at a current stock harp, you'll see that they are fairly flat
to begin with, but often vary in how they sit within the reedslot.  As a
general rule of thumb, I've found that flat reeds gapped approximately the
width of the reed tip is a good starting point.  I say general, as factors
such as key of the harmonica and the force with which you play is going to
influence your gaps.