Re: [Harp-L] Update on Harrison Harmonica/SPAH Scholarship Fund

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, David Payne <dave@...> wrote:

> But the SPAH scholarship thing is a good idea. There is a reason why the median age at SPAH is 60 something. Nobody else can afford it. >I've got three mouths to feed and I can't. I don't know many kids who have a grand or two to drop on a trip to SPAH.

And here I thought I'd been doing a good job as SPAH "media-guy." SPAH does have a "scholarship fund," so to speak. Specifically, starting this year, SPAH is giving out grants to help young players afford to come to the annual conventions. We sent out a newsletter to let everyone know, posted it to the FB page, and I'm pretty sure it was posted to Harp-L and Slidemeister as well. Here's a link to the newsletter asking for people to submit applications for the grant and giving a little more information on what it is:

http://tinyurl.com/9j7azw6

I don't recall all the winners for this year, but we had an excellent number of great young players there (and the median age at SPAH is certainly not "60 something," aim down a decade or two).

--JP Pagán