Re: [Harp-L] Low Chromatics

One way to get a low-pitched chromatic is to play a standard chromatic through a pitch shifter.  Shifting the pitch an octave down will avoid disconcerting (to the player) clashes between the shifted pitch and the normal pitch, and will be a lot less difficult than trying to get the low end notes to speak on a low-tuned chromatic.

I discussed this approach some time ago in a message to harp-L, and was challenged by some players who thought the results would sound noticeably artificial.  I posted a set of recordings to the list in response; don't remember the URL, but I'm sure it can be found by searching the archives.  As I recall, setting the pitch shift effect to 100% wet (i.e. none of the original tone in the mix) produced a very convincing low-harp sound, which was especially cool in the bass harp range.

My favorite pitch shifter, of course, is the one in the Digitech RP devices, which tracks accurately and rapidly on both single notes and chords throughout the range of the harmonica.  My patch sets for those devices include a number of octave-down and double-octave-down patches, including one designed to emulate a bass harmonica.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick