Re: [Harp-L] Low Chromatics

On Sep 25, 2012, at 1:50 PM, Angelo Adamo wrote:

> HI JOE!!!
> My friend, paesano, I'd like to have a five octaves harmonica because I love bass notes more than the higher, but I can't use a bass harmonica as somone was suggesting because it's too slow for my taste.

Right. The reeds are a lot larger in a bass, but because it is a blow instrument, that's ok. It basically meant for huff and puff and the amount of air used can be sudden. Whereas chromatics need a more subtle legato approach. And trying to inhale on a bass reed can be a chore. I found that out when I made a bass using Whirlitzer organ reeds.

> I need to play phrases an so reeds have to be brilliant and responsive.

Right. Your style is rapido, subito, presto prestpo, and allegro.  lolol Nothing Piano piano about YOU, thatsa fo shure.

> In other words, to me bass harmonica has to do... the bass harmonica. I'd need a chrom that arrives lower than a normal 64, but probably it will remain a dream...

It 'could' be done. Major problem is: The wind savers. Right now, the lower reeds send out a vortex or air from the reed tips that disturb everything around them. (Usually other wind savers). Not so much a problem on the draw notes as the surrounding wind savers may be isolated inside the comb. But the blow notes have the wind savers on the outsides of the combs and since there is no isolation in the wide open area under the cover plates, the wind savers immediately adjacent to the one you are playing will tend to rustle, shimmer, or vibrate. Causing some scratching. Even the adjacent reed tips may take on a quiver and give off ghost notes.

So, wind savers are important. Gaps are important. (Lower gap..less reed IN the air vortex). Otherwise the pitch is determined by the weight on the reed tip and as long as it was kept within reason, the reed should respond quick....... enough.

> Thanks a lot for the marvellous and funny words you've spended for me!

Hey commendatore....tu sono one of my idols.

> I'm still laughing a lot reading your mail!
> Hoping to see you soon, buona fortuna a te e a tutti i tuoi cari!

Auguri e piacere... jo-Zeppi conte di Lentini al venti chinque